How to send out a questionnaire for market research
One of the most important aspects of market research is getting the information that you need from customers. If you are unable to be in touch with what your customers are looking for then chances are that you won't be able to market effectively. When you are able to gain the right amount of market research you can then position your product or service to meet your customer's expectations for their need or want. One of the best ways to do this is to send out a questionnaire for market research. However, before you begin typing up questions it is important to consider several different aspects. If you are not careful and concise with the information that you send out then most likely you will not get the market research that you need. The good news is that there are guidelines that can help you with this. Here is what you need to know about how to send out a questionnaire for market research-
- Have clear objectives-You must have a well formulated idea in your head as to what you want to accomplish by sending out a customer questionnaire. If you just send out random questions it will be much harder to get the market research information that you need. The following questions can help you to define your objectives. These questions are-
1. What do you want to solve by sending out a customer questionnaire?
2. What kinds of information do you need to get back?
3. How will you use the information that you get back?
4. How detailed do you need the information to be?
5. Are there other ways of getting the information you need for your market research?
- Do some research on your target market-It can be helpful before you send out your customer questionnaire to do some research about your target market. This way you will be able to determine the type of language and method of delivery that will work best in order to make your questionnaire more successful in gathering market research.
- Make sure the customer questionnaire is well-written-There is nothing more frustrating to a customer then to receive marketing literature that is poorly written and hard to understand. You want to be sure that you have the right format for your customer questionnaire. It is also important to keep in mind that the format is very different depending on whether you are personally delivering the questionnaire, mailing it, or doing it over the phone with the customer. You want to make sure that the language is as familiar as possible. Stay away from highly technical or emotional terms. You should also avoid using questions that can be answered in numerous ways. Finally, you should make sure that your customer questionnaire looks professional (remember that it's a reflection of your business), and it is free or spelling and grammar errors.
- Stay on top of the project-It is important to keep in mind that putting together your customer questionnaire is only the first step. You will need to mange the administration and data gathering of it, as well. Keep in mind that most questionnaires have a 50-60% rate of response. If you are going to mail the customer questionnaires out you will need to take additional measures in order to get the best possible response rate. This can include but is not limited to: sending a note of introduction, adding a personalized letter along with the customer questionnaire, sending a follow up thank you when the questionnaire is completed and if you are having a hard time getting the questionnaire back a kindly reminder to complete it.