How to begin a fitness program
Everyone knows how important exercise is. However, many people are simply unsure as to how to get started. They assume that they have to join a gym, begin a complicated program, or even hire a trainer. While all of these steps can help you to become more fit you can actually begin a fitness program that is low cost, easy to do, and personalized to your needs without spending a lot of money or time. The key is to educate yourself about the options that are available. Here is what you need to know about how to begin a fitness program-
- Check with your doctor-Make an appointment with your doctor. This is always the first recommended step for anyone who is considering beginning a fitness program. You want to make sure that you are healthy enough to begin exercising. This is especially important if you have been sedentary. Keep in mind that not only can does your doctor need to clear you to exercise your health care professional can also offer recommendations for fitness programs and options that are right for your situation.
- Start small-One of the most common mistakes that people make when beginning a fitness program is that they try to do to much to soon. Your body will need to take time to adjust to your new activity level. You should try to set a goal for 30 minutes of moderate activity per day as you start out. If you find that you are extremely sore or you are risking injury, you should then drop back and work up in your time. Keep in mind that you don't have to compete with anyone else. This is a marathon not a sprint and whatever fitness activity you are doing is putting you on the path to better health. Doing to much to soon will risk injury which can be discouraging and derail your fitness efforts.
- Go to your local gym-Not to long ago gyms were mostly the hangout of body builders and athletes. Today, there are many gyms that are family friendly and offer more options then ever before. Best of all, these gyms are often very affordable so that you can access many different fitness options for one low price. If you are unsure about joining the gym ask about a trial membership that will allow you to try out several different options and see if the gym is the right one for you before you pay to join.Be sure to try out several classes as well as using the gym equipment so that you can get the full experience.
- Enlist a buddy-Studies show that people who work out with a family member or friend are much more likely to make it a habit and stick with it. If you are beginning a fitness program you may feel overwhelmed and unsure of where to begin. It can be really helpful to enlist someone to join you on this journey. Whether you choose some with more fitness experience then you (and they can help you), or you choose another newbie (and you can learn together), you are much more likely to set up a fitness program that you can really stick with and be successful with.
- Go low to high tech-The easiest and most effective way to get in shape is to put on your walking shoes and head out the door. Doctors advise that walking just 30 minutes a day can have significant health benefits. While this low tech approach to fitness really works if you want to add some fun to it consider using one of the gaming systems that offers many different fitness options from dancing to tai chi to add some spice to your fitness routine.