How to lose weight and keep it off
There is no denying that obesity has become an epidemic. However, many adults are not realizing the toll that extra weight is taking on them. There are many serious and even life threatening medical conditions that are linked to obesity. Doctors are constantly encouraging their patients to lose weight but most patients find it struggle. Fad diets, diet pills, and other "lose weight quickly" schemes are rarely successful. However, with some creativity and perseverance it has been shown that by making some lifestyle changes you can make a significant difference in your weight. Here is what you need to know about how to lose weight and keep it off-
- Snack smartly-It may surprise you to learn that you actually need to eat to lose weight.However, you need to be careful about what you choose to snack on. At one time it was recommended that you didn't snack between meals. Today, nutritionists and other weight loss experts know that snacking can keep your blood sugar level and keep you from bingeing on junk food. When you go to snack choose a filling and protein packed snack in order to keep you from getting to hungry between meals.
- Don't eat while distracted-Studies show that one of the major mistakes that people make when they are trying to lose weight is that they consume a large number of calories when they are distracted. You may be surprised to learn that you can consume up to 40% more calories if you are watching TV, on the computer, or even texting while you are eating. In addition, its not just being distracted at your home or office that you need to worry about but when drivers are eating they often consume far more calories then they would if they just stopped and got something to eat.
- Weigh yourself regularly-There is lots of advice surrounding weighing yourself. Some weight loss experts advocate not weighing any more then once a month while some say you should weigh everyday. The best advice is to choose a time that works for you. Weigh on a regular basis, in the nude, and in the morning so you can keep track of how you are doing. This way if your weight is slowly creeping up you can take steps to get on top of it before it gets out of control.
- Add in weight training-Many people think that in order to lose weigh they just need to focus on getting cardio. However, exercise science has now proven that the more muscle that you have the higher your metabolism will be. That means you will be able to burn a lot more calories. Women should not be concerned about bulking up as moderate weight lifting is all that you need to get the metabolic burn you are looking for.
- Give cravings some time-One of the biggest downfalls for those trying to lose weigh is the cravings. However, it has been shown that cravings tend to pass in about 10 minutes. That means that all you have to do is find something to fill the time. Pick up your phone and call a friend, head out for walk, or get involved in a task and you will soon find that your craving has moved on without you breaking your will power.
- Get plenty of sleep-You may be surprised to learn that sleep has a direct connection to weight loss. If you are not getting enough sleep your body does not have time to produce the weight loss chemicals that you need. In addition, if you are sleep deprived your body will crave sugar and carbohydrates which are both weight gainers. So head off to bed knowing that getting some shut eye can not only make you feel better but slim your waist line as well.