Why customer service should be the focus of your marketing
Most business owners are always looking for new and exciting ways to market their business and let their customers know what they have to offer them. However, it is important to understand that there is one method of marketing that every business owner can utilize that has shown to give great results and is virtually free!Offering your customers the best in customer service can serve as a highly effective marketing tool. Do not overlook the fact that your customers can actually serve as a marketing tool and can help you to grow your business. Here is why customer service should be the focus of your marketing.
Studies have shown that there are basically two reasons why businesses should use customer service to market their business. These reasons are-
- Your current customers will come back more often-It may surprise you to learn that many customers will return to purchase from a store repeatedly simply because of the degree of customer service that they received. This has been found to be true whether or not the business actually offers the lowest price on the item that the customer is shopping for. The bottom line is that great customer service sends a marketing message to your current customers that you care about them and appreciate their business.
- Your current customers will help you spread the word to new customers-Great customer service also serves as a marketing message in a different way. When your customers are happy with the customer service you have provided they are far more likely to tell their family and friends about your business and what you offer. This word of mouth marketing is priceless for a business and does not cost you anything more then the effort you expended to offer the customer great service.
Now that you know why customer service should be the focus of your marketing here are some ways to help you make that happen-
- Train every employee-Every person that works for you needs to understand that customer service is their top priority regardless of their job description. Even if an employee does not have direct contact with customers having this attitude will make your service much better. Keep in mind that example is a powerful thing. You cannot expect your employees to offer any better customer service then they see you offer. In addition, it is important to make sure that customer service training is ongoing so employees really know how important it is.
- Find out what your customers want-If you think that a simple "hello" and
"thank you" is enough you may soon find yourself losing customers. Good customer service goes far beyond simply being polite. You will need to take the time to find out what your customers want and then determine how you can provide that for them. This can be done in face to face interviews, phone calls, mailings, or emails. Once you have this information you will need to act on it and make sure that your customer service provides what your target market really wants. This will keep you customers shopping with you and not your competition.
- Make the most of every encounter-Businesses that offer the best in customer service make sure that every time they interact with their customers they know how much their business is appreciated. Apathetic service is one of the fastest ways to send your customers right to your competition. You should take the time to interact with your customers and let them know that you are there to take care of their needs for a long time to come.