How to find raw materials for manufacturing
Manufacturing is the use of labor and tools that are applied in industrial production, where raw materials are transformed into finished goods. While some manufacturers use regular materials to run and manufacture their products, many of them use raw materials. This can often be a challenge when you have to figure out where to get them from. Most often, raw materials are taken from the earth, and then split into a form that can be stored, transported, and then used to produce a somewhat finished material, which is then to be used to produce something else, in a manufacturing plant. Most raw materials after having been produced naturally are sold to customers around the world.
While most of the time getting raw materials is fairly easy, it can still take some creative thinking if you are new or smaller manufacturer. Many times suppliers require a large minimum order, or if the raw material is scarce may charge a prohibitive price. These leaves smaller manufacturers scrambling for ways to get the raw materials they need. However, with some careful planning and research you will be able to find what you need to make your product. Here is what you need to know about how to find raw materials for manufacturing-
- Find the right supplier- In most situations when trying to obtain raw materials; you will need to contact companies that sell them directly, otherwise known as suppliers. There are many businesses that work strictly to collect raw materials. Keep in mind that if the supplier you are in contact with,does not have the raw material you need,then they might be able to get you in contact with a supplier that does; or at least head you off in the right direction.
- Try looking local-A good place to start looking is in your local phone book. You can even try the yellow pages for individuals or companies that are distributors of the raw materials that you need. If the phone book is not helpful you can try looking on the internet. A quick search can let you where the applicable suppliers are in your area.Don't be discouraged with so many different resources out there, you are bound to find something or someone, that can help you find the raw materials you need for your manufacturing.
- Try looking overseas-If you have looked locally and cannot find the supplier you need, you may want to look overseas. This can be especially helpful if you are seeking a rare or hard to find raw material. The good news to this scenario is that there may be more availability out of the country than there is within the United States. In addition, many overseas suppliers are anxious to break into American manufacturing and may be willing to reflect that in the price that is offered.
- If after these suggestions you still are having a difficult time finding the raw materials you need for your manufacturing company there are other ideas that you can try. A few of them are-
- Consider using substitutes-Getting your hands on raw materials can be quite expensive.To help keep costs down you should carefully consider if it is at all possible to substitute the material you need, for something that is more attainable. Of course you will want to make sure as you consider a substitute, that the substitute does not compromise your goods or services. Keep in mind that some types of material substitutes may need cleaning, or decontamination.
- Consider reusing business waste-It may surprise you to learn that reusing waste can be a useful resource for your company. In addition, it might be possible for you to reuse waste, from another business's waste products, as your raw materials.