Keys To Mistake Proofing
Mistakes within any manufacturing plant can lead to a series of concerns from a decrease in employee morale to a decrease in sales and overall satisfaction of the company. When you start to lose your credibility in your market, it won't be long before you are dealing with a huge fallout from your customer base. There are some key tools that you need to use in order to be able to prevent mistakes for the company.Here are the keys that you want to use in order to have a productive organization:
1. Teamwork. Want to prevent mistakes from occurring? Create an environment where your employees support each other and want to work together. You need to have an environment of teamwork as this will give you the best chance of becoming successful. Employees will watch out for each other and want to see the best for each other instead of just worrying about themselves all the time. Get your employees to learn how they can create an environment that is focused on teamwork and supporting each other versus pointing out the mistakes in each other.
2. Kaizen. Have you heard of Kaizen? Try using this in order to help you with the overall defect problem with the manufacturing line. You need to be able to find out what is happening with the line and to start eliminating defects before they happen. If you are always working on preventing the defects you won't need to worry about responding to defects that occur. Thinking ahead will take your company much further than responding all the time. Kaizen is a great way to reduce or eliminate mistakes with the company and you will be able to find great success with it.
3. Reduce overhead. Some of the reasons why you could be dealing with mistakes is due to the high overhead costs that you have. Sometimes you can have too many overhead expenses because you are holding onto inventory for too long. You really need to focus on making products to order. It is often known as using a system of continuous flow. This is a great way to keep the costs down as you are able to improve the manufacturing line.
4. Use a diagram like a fishbone diagram to help you find the root problems within your production line. You need to have a system in place that helps with the identification of problems early on as it will be able to give you the best chance of keeping your costs down and it helps to understand the entire mapping system. Your organization will have an easier time fitting into their various roles and everyone will be able to figure out how they can help with mistake proofing.
5. Invest in a quality system. As you are working to improve the company overall you have to really look at different systems that can be used to make a dramatic difference for the company. You need to watch for computer systems that eliminate a lot of the mundane tasks from your employee's jobs. A control system is a great option as it helps to reduce irregularities within the company. It makes it easier to manage the company as you aren't responding to issues and you are not worried about an employee controlling it as well. With this type of system it will identify a problem, warn the employees, and then they can go about addressing the problem.
Mistake proofing is like anything as you have to be able to learn how to find programs that work well for your needs. You also need to be able to focus your efforts on preventing problems and not always needing to respond to issues.