Tips for building better business relationships
In today’s interconnected and interdependent world of business, savvy business owners will know the importance of cultivating business relationships. The business owner who takes the time and makes the effort to build business relationships will be able to have resources at his disposal that can help to insure the long term growth of his or her business. Whether it is discounts, human resource needs, or even technology knowing who you should know and have a relationship with may be crucial to your business’ success. In addition, when you work on business relationships everyone within your company can feel more appreciated and valued. Here are some tips for building better business relationships-
• Do more then just greet people-Many business owners mistakenly believe that just because they smile at someone in passing and say hello that they have a relationship. A simple handshake does not make a business relationship. You need to take the time to get to know the other person you are trying to establish a relationship with. The bottom line is that if you are genuine and treat other people the way you want to be treated you will establish a professional reputation that will draw people to you who want to have a business relationship with you.
• Don’t forget to show appreciation-Whether it is your employees, customers, or vendors a business owner who wants to establish positive business relationships will show gratitude to everyone they work with. Remember that a simple thank you (whether given verbally or through an email or written note); can go a long way to showing the other person that you appreciate what they do. Taking the time to find out what your customers and employees need and then responding to those needs (where applicable), can also go a long way toward showing your appreciation and establishing a business relationship.
• Do find common ground-Just like in a personal relationship common ground is what brings business relationships together, as well. If you are interested in establishing business relationships then you need to take the time to find the common ground with your customers, employees, and vendors. You want to know how you can make what they need or what they do better in some way. Make sure that when you are talking to someone that you take a real interest in what they are saying. This can only make them feel special and more connected to you which is the basis of building business relationships.
• Don’t force the relationship-Business relationships need to develop naturally just like personal relationships. You need to make sure that you are genuine in your efforts to build a business relationship but you should never force it. If your customer, employee, or vendor feels forced into a business relationship with you then chances are it will not be a successful partnership and will soon end. You want to make sure that you take the time to show the other person you are sincere in your efforts to build a business relationship without overstepping the proper boundaries.
• Do be a communicator-All successful relationships whether personal or business depend on communication. You need to make sure that your communication skills will allow you to truly interact with the other person. Most people have no problem with the talking part of communication but few people listen as much as they should. It is crucial to make sure that you are taking the time to listen to what the other person has to say. Make sure that you are shutting off any distractions and you are using the appropriate body language while you are communicating.
Search our site for more information:
Rate This Post