Tips for quality shipping
Shipping is an important component of the manufacturing process. Whether you are looking at the goods that are being shipped into your facility or the shipping you do to get your customers their orders, you want your packages to arrive safely, unbroken, and in the highest quality packaging. Keep in mind that when goods either arrive at your plant or your customers office and are broken or in disrepair this not only costs you time and money but can damage your reputation, as well. However, the good news is that there are tips that can help you. Here are some tips to use for quality shipping-
- Train your employees-The first line of making sure that you are practicing quality shipping lies with the correct employee training. Are your employees trained on how to correctly ship items or are they simply throwing things into a box and taping it shut? You want to make sure that your employees are packaging your customer's orders so that everything arrives securely and in the best possible condition.
- Have the right packing materials-If your employees have to search for the right materials to ship orders in that is a problem, as well. You want to make sure that you have designated shipping stations where your employees can find all of the materials that they need in order to ship correctly. In addition, it is important to consider that when your customers receive their orders in new and up to date shipping materials they will be far more impressed then if they open a used box that is full of torn up paper. It is now extremely easy to purchase bulk packing materials online and have them delivered right to your manufacturing plant.
- Hire the right shipping company-The shipping company that you use will also have a direct effect on the quality of your shipping. You want to make sure that you hire the right company for your goods. Before hiring a shipping company take the time to look around and get referrals. Many times manufacturing business owners are tempted to go with the shipper with the lowest price. This is not always a good idea. Price should be only one of the factors that you consider before hiring a shipper. If you do go ahead and hire a shipping company and then find that you constantly have to deal with claims then it might be time to switch shippers. Remember, that you want a company that ship your order with as much care as you put into making it.
- Use the right supplier-Quality shipping goes both ways. If you are having problems with the goods that are being shipped to your plant then now is the time to take action. You want to let your supplier know that the goods that they are shipping you are being received in less than optimal condition. A reputable supplier who cares about their clients will quickly take action to correct this problem. If they don't then this is red flag that you should move on and use another supplier.
- Implement shipping policies-Just like anything else within your company it is important to have a policy or procedure in place when it comes to shipping. This helps to keep everyone on the same page when it comes to how you ship and the materials that you use. It is important that all employees receive training (and periodic re-training), on this issue so that you continue to maintain a high standard of shipping. This will not only save your manufacturing company money but help to bolster its reputation, as well.